History

Featured - slides

History

The Hotel Villa Grazioli is housed in the hunting lodge of the Grazioli Lante della Rovere Dukes, adjacent to Palazzo Grazioli, today home of the Canadian Embassy. When the Grazioli family purchased the Villa at the end of the 19th century, the main building consisted of a typical square farmhouse called Villa Lecci. The restructuring and expansion of the property was entrusted to Giovani Riggi who retrieved the style buildings that are still present in the area today: the stables, a neo-Gothic tower and the medieval building with bow-window, turrets, rusticated decorations, brickwork cornices, balconies and loggias.

The architect, inspired by Venetian Gothic, devised an articulated elevation with mullioned windows, three-mullioned windows, marble coats of arms on the lunettes of the portals, ogival arches alternated with and corbels. This extraordinary example of architecture is still preserved today, even if surrounded by other buildings emerged during the various changes of ownership and the subdivision of it.

 

Pietro Badoglio, after the victory in Ethiopia in 1937, received from Mussolini as a prize, ten thousand square meters of Villa Grazioli. In 1949 the rear of the villa was purchased by the Municipality of Rome and became a public park.

Since 1997, the ancient farmhouse has housed the Hotel Villa Grazioli, with the main entrance at number 241 of Via Salaria. For this new purpose it was again restored by the architect Patrizio Busiri Vici. But the real Villa Grazioli Lante della Rovere is now identified with the only portion remaining intact in front of the Via Salaria with entrance at number 243.

The villa remained the property of Grazioli Lante della Rovere until 1968, after which it passed from owner to owner maintaining however its characteristic constructions, as intact it has remained the particular entrance on via di Villa Grazioli, at number 4, with two doors: one is open, in which stands the inscription "Sibi et amicis"

The other walled, bearing the word "Nocentibus", meaning that the passage is allowed to the owner and his friends, but denied to those who are hostile to him.

Of the original park of Villa Grazioli there remains only a portion used as a public garden located between Via Panama and Via Salaria.

Banners

3 reasons to stay with us

 
Small Pets Welcome

 
Where you can eat during summer and relax yourself during winter

 
Discount on parking + welcome drink

Special offers